|of ponies and web servers
||[Jan. 5th, 2007|04:51 pm]
|[||Tags|||||baby mosaic, custom ponies, eferia, jessica, merpony, ninja, rylie alexis, security breach, virus, webserver, worm||]|
|||||sugarcult - do it alone||]|
Happy New Year everyone! Hmmmm...where should I start? The good or bad news? The bad news is probably more crucial, so here it is:
Someone or something (a worm or virus?) has been adding rather unsavory files & folders to my website. It was sneaky and placed them mostly in subfolders and gave them names mimicking my own folders. A few weeks ago, a regular aikarin.com visitor sent a message saying my site was infected with a worm and their anti-virus software didn't allow her to access it. I also have anti-virus software and I didn't have a problem. I contacted the webhosting company...they didn't give me a clear answer on what to do, except to update any scripts I was running. The site has sprawled quite a bit...I'm not even sure which pages still have active scripts on them. =(
This week, while browsing through the files on the server, I found a folder containing links to SPAM sites which I didn't upload. Upon further digging, I found HUNDREDS of folders like this, hidden in subfolders. They matched some entries in my guestbook, so I suspect that script was the culprit. I've removed that script along with as many scripts as I could find. I also went through every single folder, deleting the extra files and replacing the altered ones.
This weekend, I'm going to re-upload the entire site. I think I've fixed everything, but this will ensure that the site is 100% clean. Yes, this is a huge undertaking!
For you: if you don't have anti-virus software, I'd recommend a scan. I don't know the nature of this problem, so this is probably the safest thing to do. The free on-line scanner from Trend Micro is pretty good. I'm sorry for any inconvenience. =(
Okay, enough bad news, here's some good news!
The mystery pony has been received and here is Jessica, the ninja pony:
And here are some customs in progress:
The pony in the back is Rylie Alexis with the wing bases sculpted. I'm going to do the feather detailing next. The baby merpony's tail was crumbling...I guess that's just too thin for sculpy clay. So, it got some epoxy polymer reinforcement. Looks like mosaic tiling, so she has a name now - Baby Mosaic! The third pony is Eferia. She received a sculpted studded bracelet. It still needs painting. For those people who asked: these are commissioned projects, except for the merpony. Eferia is someone else's persona. I don't have one, however, I do have a site mascot and that's Starfall. Starfall is featured on the top left of the website and on my LJ icon. ^_^